Saturday, June 25, 2005

Nelson, fear, and a really great quote
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

I watched the movie, Coach Carter yesterday and one of the characters recited this quote. It reminded me how much I've always enjoyed this quote so I finally went and looked it up. Everyone credits this quote to Nelson Mandela, because he said it in his inauguration speech, but I guess Nelson loves a good
self-help book as much as the rest of us. I think I'll pick this book up and see if the rest of it is as inspiring. This quote uncovers a curious weakness in my character. I think this weakness is, has become, has always been my character more than what I believe my character to be. I think it stems from my fear, and my greatest fear is that I would succeed. It freezes me and then I've lost one more day in a extended ambivalent daydream and continue in a cycle that perpetuates a feeling of being socially and professionally impotent, ineffectual, moot. Hey Jane, how do I get off this crazy...thing.

I didn't know my blog was therapy. Do I owe myself money now? Maybe instead, I'll barter for services. You should also never watch the movie, I Heart Huckabees, while in a social, personal, spiritual quandry, as I just did. It soooo doesn't help the situation. But the quote, the quote is a humdinger. Can't wait to see how I feel about this tomorrow morning. : )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home