Friday, July 01, 2005

Lions, tigers, and zombies! Oh my!
Just heard on the radio that zombies are real! Scientists at a Pittsburgh university have figured out how to bring a dead dog back to life. I thought it was a joke when I first heard it on the radio, but they went on to explain how they did it. Apparently, you have to use a freshly dead dog. They drain all of the dog's blood and inject it with a saline solution. Then they drain the saline solution, inject the dog with fresh blood, and shock it back to life. I was stunned when I heard this stuff.

The goal will be to use this technique on soldiers on the battlefield, but all I could think of was Stephen King's novel, Pet Cemetary. If you bring something back from the dead, who do you really bring back? Is it the man or is it something else? People die and stay dead for a reason. I found the article which talks about this process, because I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around it. I keep waiting for the punchline. I started researching the organization and the scientists who pulled this off.

The organization is
The Safar Center for Resuscitation Research of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and the man responsible is Dr. Peter Safar (1924-2003), the Father of CPR. The research is real, the doctor is real, and I just keep getting more and more creeped out. I guess truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home