Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Ouch, it stings the soul.
I accepted a leadership role within the youth group recently. The youth pastor and I had a couple of planning meetings, I said too much, and I walked out with a three-year gym membership. I don't want to have to go to the gym. Crap. I do and I don't. It tugs at me.

So, I've been unwittingly half-assing my way through the Bible study and I was doing catch-up in the car tonight while Christian was taking a guitar lesson. It was a lesson on the praying leader. Been there, done that. Cynical as always. One question caught my eye. What do you think God would say to you. I wrote, "I miss our conversations."

Where am I in my faith? I am comfortable. See, Complacent. See, Lazy. "Enough," I think sitting there, "Where am I Lord, I feel lost." I get home and Hebrews 11 is throbbing in my head. Just read it. The faith chapter. Interesting. Faith has never really been an issue, but I get that it's definitely an illustration.

I had talked to Ernie earlier in the day. A family member in the Philippines had stolen from Ernie's mom. I had mentioned that even Jesus said he would spit us out of his mouth, in reference that her mom should consider severing various relationships with her family.

The more I thought about it when I got home, it wasn't really in context. Jesus was talking about something else, so I went to confirm it online. I love BibleGateway.com. The word search revealed it was Revelation 3:16, regarding the spitting reference.

Out of nowhere, in the total silence, Christian puts on Johnny Cash's, The Man Comes Around. Revelation stuff. Great guitar riff. Disturbing co-inky-dink. I love that song.

"Where am I Lord...".

Revelation 3:16 pops up:

"So, because you are lukewarm-neither hot or cold-I am about to spit you out of my mouth."

Yeah, that verse definitely isn't in context for Ernie's mom's situation.

"Crap, what do you want?"

I started laughing out loud when I read it for the third time. Ouch. I get it. You got my attention. I love a Savior with a sense of humor. Johnny Cash and internet Bible sites. Kudos Sir! You are good!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lindsay said...

God does have a wonderful sense of humor eh? I can't get over it! Where you have never struggled with faith, I struggle all the time. Thanx for letting me check out yout blog

Tue Feb 28, 10:38:00 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats cool, so God healed my voice for some P and W but then let it get lossed again I really like the way God uses coincidences like the Revelation thing, He uses something normal to grasp your attention and then you have the "ooo Now I get it" feeling

Wed Mar 01, 08:39:00 PM CST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home