Thursday, June 01, 2006

It vexes me. I am terribly vexed.
I'm still studying and practicing for my state insurance licensing test that I'm taking next week but something's nagging at the back of my brain: is Batman a legitimate superhero or is he just the premiere crime fighter.

I was in the shower this morning and I kept trying to justify his superhero-esque legitimacy. Sure, he hangs out with a ton of superheroes at the Hall of Justice, he's a genius, he's got gadgets coming out the ying-yang, but they let Robin hang out at The Hall Of Justice, Robin.

I keep coming back to the issue that he has no super powers and all he does is fight crime at a street level, like stopping muggers or rapists. That's very noble, but not necessarily worthy of being called a Hero. He created himself purely to be a crime fighter to avenge the memory of his parent's death. That doesn't say superhero to me, that says crime fighter.

I need an alternate view, and Cam, yelling really loudly that, "Batman is too a superhero!!!", doesn't validate your argument.

[Aside]: Cam is a fellow youth group leader, newly pledged adult since his graduation this past May, and Lover of All Things Hero-esque, as am I. This is our own little debate that I'll bring to floor of the Senate.

I think I'd actually watch C-Span if they'd argue this topic in the middle of a filibuster. Man, that'd be good times.

Note for Cam: now that you're an "Adult", this argument we're debating isn't cute, it's the sad, sad argument of two Geeks. Welcome to my world. :D

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

True Batman has no real, tangible super powers, however the basic instics of a super hero is to save the world. This said there are several ways to save the world be it stopping Zod from using Lex Luthor as a host body to take over earth or fighting for the world one crime at a time. Obviously the latter is how batman does it. You will also notice that any way you put it Most super heros have "man" or "woman" or some refference to humankindness in their title suggesting they are infact just a man. ie. Superman, Superwoman, Spiderman, The Human Torch, Aquaman, Wonder Women, The Invisable Man, Elastic Man, Iceman, ect. So in my humble opinion it doesn't matter if he has powers or not, just that fact that he is willing to take on a secret identity and do his part to save the world makes him a super hero. It's doing way more than the average person or hero would do. What's above average? Super.

Thu Jun 01, 01:55:00 PM CDT  
Blogger sknaB nolA said...

u guys r geeks!

Thu Jun 01, 06:14:00 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, what crimes are you fighting Ryan? Not that I don't think you are a hero but I need some evidence.

Fri Jun 02, 09:24:00 AM CDT  
Blogger sknaB nolA said...

ryan fights the crime of using your computer stupidly.
it runs rampant in some places and tends to cause civil unrest.
he is my hero and therefore i shall call him Revil (liver backwards)
http://www.aminus.org/blogs/index.php/rts/2006/01/18/imperial_woman

Fri Jun 02, 10:13:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home