Monday, September 24, 2007

Way To Go Einstein
In an August 27, 2007 article of TIME, called The Genius Problem an interesting statistic was cited: "U.S. schools spend $8 billion dollars on the mentally retarded and just 10% of that on the gifted."

I always think that our nation could use a few more physicists or another bioengineer, but we need eight billion dollars worth of retards? Do they have special psionic powers and the military has taught them to kill with their minds? Did no one one glance at the annual budget when they were ordering the year's supply of short buses? I have questions and that article only brought up more questions.

So, we see no value in the future of our nation to develop the greatest minds of our time. Instead, we want a kid who will probably never contribute anything to society and spend eight billion dollars on his education for him to look at a picture of a dog and say, "monkey."

"I Love Those Retards"- Matt Dillon, There's Something About Mary

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

I want to write something inspirational here about why we need to spend money on both equally but alas, I can't put my thoughts together. Maybe I will come back later with a thought...

Tue Sep 25, 06:43:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home