Saturday, August 09, 2008

Grandma Was A Pragmatist
My sister and I were unwittingly spoiled little dreamers living in a magical time called the 70's. Grandma Dodson was all of five feet tall and 95 pounds and was born in the early 1900's. My sister and I played in sprinklers and rollerskated as children. Grandma picked cotton throughout her childhood. Her birthday present every year was to get two feet sewn onto her cotton picking bag. It lent her a tad more perspective. We were probably annoyingly whiney little creatures when we'd say things like, "Grandmaaa, I wish weee had bicycles." Grandma would just look at us and say:

"Wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one fills up first."

I am still a dreamer and a dumbass. It took me 30 years to figure out what the hell she was implying. I'll even give you a shot at this adorable colloquialism. You've got one day to give your best interpretation: discuss.

Oh yeah, thanks grandma.

3 Comments:

Blogger MyFavoritePhantom said...

I've already guessed two things and both were wrong, but both were also interpretations that you yourself sat on for a little while each.
I was confident I'd come to the meaning eventually, but at the time, i have no idea.

Guesses were:
Since you can't physically feel dreams in your hand, the hand full of shit would obviously fill first, leaving you with a shitty hand and no where to go.
Second, I asked you if it was actually talking about which hand fills up first, and you said no again.

So, seeing beyond the statement...I see nothing.

Do tell.

Sun Aug 10, 12:26:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Shawn Passwaters said...

Those were my original two guesses also. But I love the statement: "leaving you with a shitty hand and no where to go."

Sun Aug 10, 11:30:00 AM CDT  
Blogger MyFavoritePhantom said...

I'm becoming slowly more impatient... I broke my bowling record by almost 30 points..reward me!

Tue Aug 19, 09:36:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home