Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Grandma Was a Pragmatist II
Sorry I was away so long, I rediscovered my guitar and singiiiing AND THE OLYMPICS ARE ON. WOOOOOO!!! My set list:

Honkytonkin', Hank Williams
Honky Tonk Blues, Hank Williams
Hey Good Lookin', Hank Williams
Swinging Doors, Merle Haggard
Love Me Tender, Elvis Presley
Oh Lonesome Me, Don Gibson

These are all songs from my childhood and I cherish all of them. In my pursuit to find all the lyrics and chords (and singiiing), I totally forgot about the answer to the colloquialism:

"Wish in one hand and shit in the other, and see which one fills up first."

We must remember grandma was a pragmatist and I was, and pretty much still am, a dreamer. She was saying that it really doesn't matter if you shit in your hand OR put all your wishes in the other hand, they're both of equal value: nothing. It's not until you choose to DO something with your hopes and dreams that you will find a modicum of happiness. You're pretty friggin' hardcore if you're sayin that to a child. That's why I always liked grandma.

3 Comments:

Blogger MyFavoritePhantom said...

Ah, I see. I'll be thinking about this some more.

P.S.-I like how the word "singing" must have atleast 3+ i's in it, haha.

Wed Aug 20, 05:45:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Shawn Passwaters said...

"Singiiing" is from Will Ferrell in Elf. And it's sung off-key, as in:

"I'm singing/I'm in a store/and I'm siiiiiingiiiiing!/I'm in a store/and I'm siiiiiingiiiiing!"

Wed Aug 20, 06:28:00 PM CDT  
Blogger MyFavoritePhantom said...

i know it well.

Wed Aug 20, 11:05:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home